Family fire is a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home that results in death or injury. Unintentional shootings, suicides, and intentional shootings are all forms of family fire.
- Every day, 8 children and teens are unintentionally injured or killed due to family fire.
- 4.6 million children live in homes with access to an unlocked or unsupervised gun.
- 1 in 5 kids have handled a gun when an adult wasn’t around.
- 75 percent of kids know where a gun is stored in their home.
- 51 percent of all suicides are by firearm and 60 percent of all gun deaths are by suicide.
- Access to a gun increases the risk of death by suicide by 300 percent.
- 75 percent of school shootings are facilitated by kids having access to unsecured and/or unsupervised guns at home.