Washington, D.C., June 4, 2019 — Days after 12 people were shot and killed in Virginia Beach, VA, Gov. Ralph Northam announced that he will call an emergency legislative session to take up a package of gun violence prevention bills, including action on suppressors, a ban on assault weapons, and expansion of local authority to regulate firearms. The gun violence prevention group Brady applauded the announcement, hailing it as an opportunity for Virginia legislators to take action to prevent the next mass shooting.
Brady President and Virginia native Kris Brown stated,
“Time and time again, members of the Virginia legislature have chosen to put profits over people, siding with the corporate gun lobby over keeping people safe from gun violence. Now, they have an opportunity to make this right. Gov. Northam is absolutely correct when he says that gun violence in Virginia is an emergency, and now is the time for elected officials from both parties to come together and take action, not sides. And if they choose to reject this chance, Virginia voters will remember and take action of their own come November.
Gov. Northam announced a number of bills that will be taken under consideration in the emergency session, including:
- A ban on high-capacity magazines, silencers, bump stocks, and assault weapons;
- Expansion of local authority to regulate firearms, including in government buildings;
- Expanded background checks;
- An extreme risk law allowing law enforcement to temporarily remove guns from a person at a heightened risk of violent behavior;
- A limit of one handgun purchase per person per month; and
- New safe storage requirements keeping guns out of children's hands.
Brady has one powerful mission — to unite all Americans against gun violence. We work across Congress, the courts, and our communities with over 90 grassroots chapters, bringing together young and old, red and blue, and every shade of color to find common ground in the common sense. In the spirit of our founders Jim and Sarah Brady, we have fought for over 25 years to take action, not sides, and we will not stop until this epidemic ends. It’s in our hands.