28: You Have a Constitutional Right to Not be Shot
JJ is joined by Jon Lowy, Chief Counsel and Vice President of Legal at Brady. Jon--affectionately called Lowy--has been deeply involved with a highly publicized Second Amendment case, one that seems to combine the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York and the District of Columbia v. Heller. Lowy was present for arguments on December 2nd, 2019, and provides JJ with a breakdown of the good, the bad, and the ugly of possible decisions.
Today in this Minisode, we cover:
- what the 2nd Amendment is;
- what the 2nd Amendment isn't;
- what the Heller decision meant;
- why the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York went to the Supreme Court, and why it matters;
- possible decisions...and what to do about them.
Links & Mentions
- “10 Years Later, Heller Continues to Resonate.” Brady. Accessed December 3, 2019.
- “20 Years in the Making: Brady Applauds Indiana Supreme Court Decision...” Brady. Accessed December 3, 2019.
- Barnes, Aurora. “New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. City of New York, New York.” SCOTUSblog. Accessed December 3, 2019.
- “Brady Files Amicus Brief In Supreme Court Second Amendment Case.” Brady. Accessed December 3, 2019.
- “DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER.” Legal Information Institute. Legal Information Institute, June 26, 2008.