30: This is a Tool Designed to End Human Life
What exactly are "assault weapons?" Lawyer Jon Lowy and U.S. Marine Corps combat veteran Kyleanne Hunter explain their origins in military warfare, how and why they got (briefly) banned by Congress, and how they're used today. Today, you'll learn:
- What’s the difference between an automatic and semi-automatic weapon;
- What happened when Congress banned assault weapons in 1994;
- Why assault weapons are the weapon of choice for mass shooters, including in Parkland, Pulse in Orlando, Columbine High School, Tree of Life synagogue, and more;
- and why most Americans support an assault weapons ban.
Finally, we answer the important question of what can people do if they’re concerned about assault weapons.
Links & Mentions
- "What are Assault Weapons and High-Capacity Magazines?" Brady. Accessed December 6, 2019.
- “Bloody Hands.” Brady. Accessed December 6, 2019.
- “Demand a Ban on Assault Weapons.” Brady. Accessed December 6, 2019.
- Jackson, Sarah. “Florida Couple Finds Semi-Automatic Rifle Hidden in Baby Shower Gift from Goodwill.” NBCNews.com. NBCUniversal News Group, December 5, 2019.
- “The Brady Plan.” Brady. Accessed December 6, 2019.