217: “Your Man Card Reissued”: The Truth About Masculinity and Gun Violence
In the United States, over 90% of mass shootings are committed by men and boys. Men and boys are also predominantly the victims of gun violence. But why? Psychologist and author Dr. Ronald F. Levant, who specializes in the psychology of masculinity and gender (and who has a new book out, The Tough Standard: The Hard Truths About Masculinity and Violence), sat down with Kelly and JJ to talk about whether or not masculinity and gun violence are intrinsically connected, how advertisers and manufacturers have leaned into societal pressures about masculinity to sell firearms, and how we all can help change this troubling reality to prevent further violence.
- Ending gun violence isn't an "either/or" question: It must be a "both/and" (Salon)
- Masculinity, mental illness and guns: A lethal equation? (CNN)
- Guns, Terror, and Hegemonic Masculinity (Harvard)
- Media Coverage Misses the Gender Issues at the Heart of Mass Shootings (Ms. Magazine)
- Bushmaster Rifle Ad Reminds Us To Ask More About Masculinity And Gun Violence (Huffpost)"